News / indies
July is Independent retailer month, an initative which began in the U.S. and was first brought to the UK in 2012. It encourages customers to shop independently supporting local businesses and communities.
Independent Retailer Month in the UK has 3 aims:
To encourage all those who live in the local area to visit their nearby towns and villages, to explore the local, independent businesses in their community and to rediscover what their place has to offer. To vote with their feet, and with their wallets, if they really do care about having a sustainable, thriving high street!
To encourage independent consumer-facing businesses in towns and village centres to create fun, engaging activities and events throughout July. To focus on attracting the local community back into the town, high street or village centre. To ensure that consumers have a great experience that will in turn make more people want to come back more often.
To encourage product suppliers and all those who serve the independent retail sector to spread the word. Where possible to garner the support from suppliers to enable the retailers to deliver fantastic in-store events and activities, throughout July.
As Stockbridge is packed full of independent businesses - why not make a whole day of it and check out what's on offer... why not make a start from here at Eden and shop some fantastic individual and stylish clothing in our summer sale!
With Mother's day soon approaching on the 26th, it is still not too late to pick up a few special gifts to give this Sunday. Even if you are just looking for a gift for a different occasion then this blog post may offer you some useful ideas.
Jewellery gifts aren't the most original but that doesn't mean they are boring. Jewellery can be thoughtful and beautiful and is something a person can keep for a lifetime.
The first item on the gift guide is Sence jewellery, a wonderful Copenhagen brand.
Stunning semi precious stone necklaces are statement pieces and the best thing about necklaces are one size fits all!
A bracelet is the perfect fit for treating someone to jewellery that is both unique and precious. This subtle bracelet is laced with semi precious stones and is sure to be appreciated.
These sophisticated earrings are worn gold plated metal with semi precious stones which make wonderful pressies.
Shown below are some of the soy based candles that are not only thoughtful but genuinely smell amazing. They have a typical burning time of 40 hours and come in a handy gift box.
A classic gift to give is candles and we have 7 different message candles in the range to choose from. "Instant happy woman just add bubbles" and "this house runs on love, laughter and prosecco" are our top picks for a mothers day present.
There are a good selection hydestyle bags that suit everyday and can be used on both sides to turn a day time look into night one. The bags are available in arrange of beautiful shiny metallic and are irresistibly stylish.
They are also made of real leather and all have inner pockets and come with straps.
On the reverse side, the bags are plain suede colours as one example shows below.
Besides the messenger style bags there is also the small cross body bag, which looks incredible with a leather jacket.
Buying clothing for others can be tricky, however this gorgeous floral print blouse is super flattering for all shapes and has a contemporary take on florals.
As for a cheaper alternative a scarf is a good idea. Brighten any outfit with this lovely colourful accessory.
I hope you have a lovely Sunday and celebrate with loved ones. To find out more information about any of these items feel free to click on the links and pictures.
We're gearing up to celebrate tonight as Eden is now 13 (we are now officially a teenager!).
Still lots to prepare - including the goodie bags! Our suppliers, agents and brands have been fantastic donating items - which we will draw throughout the month of October.
Finally just want to say a massive thank you to all our lovely customers (we could not have got this far without you) your love & support is the best!
There are approximately 200 businesses in Stockbridge and three-quarters are independently owned and run. With the ongoing roadworks in the Stockbridge area we wanted to highlight the benefits of shopping with an independent business...
1. Supporting the local economy - Edinburgh benefits from shoppers spending money in independent shops, in terms of preserving the community, rather than the money going to a London Head Office.
2. Creates a community - Shop owners become familiar with one another and customers will become known in the area this creates a feeling of a common bond.
3. The shopping area will thrive off the local shop owners who are successfully running a business and the owners are like-minded citizens with entrepreneurial spirit.
4. We remember you, your previous purchases, what you like/dislike - Independent shop owners will get to know their regular customers and they will understand what you are looking for.
5. Shop owners invest in the local community - They are less likely to leave the area and are more likely to encourage support in the community in order to drive business to the area.
6. Economic advantages - The more money made in the local area, the more popular the area is to live in and the value of property increases.
7. Environmental benefits - Customers have reduced transport time because the shops are local, compared to out of town retail parks. Less travel time means less emissions in the atmosphere.
8. Products last longer - The lifespan of products tend to last longer from independents, whereas high street products are less expensive but will not last as long.
9. More choice and diversity - Boutiques can offer products with more appealing choice and products will be different from well known chain fashion shops.
10. "Use us or lose us !" The following Stockbridge boutiques are no more - Hibiscus Flower, Chic and Unique, Carrie Linton and The Stockbridge Boutique. Local shops and businesses need your support in order to survive.
Let us know if you like to shop locally or would you change your shopping habits having read this blog post? For further information about Stockbridge please visit www.stockbridgeedinburgh.com